Mild intoxication causes festive mood, self-confidence, sense of comfort, increased activity, and cheerfulness. These symptoms are accompanied by pleasant physical sensations such as warmth and relaxation. Subsequently, fatigue grows, thinking becomes retarded, expressed judgments sound imprecise. At the same time, alongside with euphoric component, conflict and aggression may arise. At this level of intoxication, blood alcohol concentration is in the range of 50-150 mg/dL.
With an average degree of intoxication emotional and behavioral disorders are more pronounced as well as increased motor excitement, euphoria easily changes to irritability and can be even replaced by depression. Proneness to conflict becomes intensive, while impulses are disinhibited. Blood alcohol concentration at this level of intoxication is 150-250 mg/dL.
In case of severe intoxication profound disturbance of consciousness up to and including sopor or coma, lack of coordination of movements are developed, speech becomes completely slurred, association are jerky. When a patient recover from this state, amnesia is detected. Blood alcohol concentration in severe intoxication is 300-500 mg/dL. When the concentration of alcohol in the blood reaches a level of 600 mmol /l or more, death can occur.
Development of alcohol intoxication is caused by absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream from the gastrointestinal tract (GIT).  Absorption of alcohol starts in the oral cavity and extends to the stomach, and with the evacuation of stomach contents absorption continues in the proximal small intestine, mainly in the duodenum. In the distal small intestine a small portion of alcohol is absorbed. On an average about 20% of alcohol volume is absorbed in the stomach and the remaining 80% – in the small intestine. After absorption in the gastrointestinal tract, 80-90% of ethanol in the blood is metabolized in the cytoplasm of hepatocytes, and the rest undergoes biotransformation in the lungs, kidney, vascular endothelium and other tissues. Ethanol oxidation in the body occurs with alcoholdehydrohenase , whereby acetaldehyde is formed which is a highly toxic product that is subsequently oxidized to acetate . Acetaldehyde has a negative impact on a variety of biochemical processes: it violates most of the metabolic processes as well as negatively changes structure and functional activity of tissues. It is action of acetaldehyde that is a reason of a toxic effect of alcohol on the body.
In 2009,132 patients with alcoholic liver disease at the age from 25 to 65 years, of which 105 – men (57.7%) and 77 – women (42.3%) were examined. All patients were admitted to the hospitals in the acute stage of the disease. ALD diagnosis was confirmed by the information about the long-term (at least 2 years) regular alcohol consume. Application of intestinal adsorbent (enterosorbent) Enterosgel in patients with alcoholic liver disease (ALD) helps to reduce the lipid peroxidation (LPO) products – one of the main substrates of metabolic intoxication, which contributes to preservation of the natural functioning of cellular detoxification systems and antimicrobial resistance on subcompensated level and reduces the risk of auto-aggressive reactions.